As the the team trains for the 2014 season, the Lady Irish Volleyball Boosters are also hard at work planning for this season's events. One of our the biggest fund raisers of each year is the printed game day program. Now is your opportunity to support the Lady Irish and get some excellent exposure for your business. Each year, the Lady Irish Boosters publish a sports program which is distributed at all home volleyball games. Each issue contains pictures of each team along with advertisements from local businesses. Families and friends can also purchase space in the program to send a special message to a member of the team!
Business Owners & Family Members: Don't be left out! Contact any player, booster member or e-mail us directly to place an ad. Placing an ad in our program is an excellent way to reach Dublin area consumers and members of the team. More importantly, since the club is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, all sponsorships received go towards meeting the financial needs of our team.
Its hard to believe but August 1 is almost here! I just wanted to touch base with you all about a few things.
1. There are 4 remaining coaching days: July 24, 25, 28, 29. These are all in the main gym from 5:30-8:30
2. Anyone interested in trying out as a setter is invited to come for a little extra training before each remaining coaching day from 4:30-5:30.
3. You MUST have a physical to try out. If you have one and would like to bring it to coaching days so that I have it, please do so. I will turn them in to the athletic office for you.
4. The current tryout schedule is now posted on our website. If you have trouble accessing, please let me know ASAP. Tryouts will be on Friday and Saturday, August 1 & 2. We will have a total of 3 sessions. Session 1 will be from 8-10 Friday morning. This session will be physical fitness and athletic testing. We will also explain how the afternoon session will work. You may want to bring running shoes and your volleyball shoes for session 1. You will come back in the evening for session 2 from 6:00-9:00. You will be tested on volleyball and position specific skills at this time. Finally, you will come back Saturday morning from 9-12 for the third and final session. This will be mostly play-out situations as we try to make any final decisions. We will likely play until 10:30-11 and then we will begin the process of informing you of which team you are on.
5. Tryouts are often a tense and sensitive time for everyone, including players, coaches, and parents. Please adhere to the 24 hour rule at the conclusion of tryouts. If you have questions beyond what we had time to talk about Saturday morning, I ask that you think about them, write them out, and then sleep on it. I am happy to answer questions you may have, but Coach Hampson, Coach Thomas, and I will not be available to discuss those until Sunday afternoon. We appreciate your cooperation in this matter.
6. The practice schedule is also posted on the website. You will notice that varsity and JV have several two-a-days to start the first week of practice. There are only 12 days between the first practice and the first match so we are trying to maximize our time early on. All practices are mandatory so please plan accordingly.
GAMES & TOURNAMENTS
7. All games and tournaments are posted on our website as well. If you have followed our website, you will notice a change to the first two matches. I previously had it listed as AWAY on August 16 at Kilbourne and HOME vs. Olentangy on August 23. This was incorrect and we are HOME on the 16th, AWAY on 23rd. It should be corrected now.
I realize this is a lot of information and it only gets worse! Within the first week, we will be throwing a lot at you with spirit wear, uniform and travel gear, fundraisers, volunteering, etc. Our boosters do a wonderful job and will be in touch with how you can help our program.
Thanks everyone. See you tomorrow at the coaching day.
Below you will find the form to fill out regarding summer league availability. I can not emphasize enough to PLEASE fill this out with the times that you are able to play, not what team you think you are on. For example, a rising senior who is able to play at any time the entire evening, should checkmark all boxes, including the one that says Freshmen or JV even if they likely won't play during that time. If you are a freshman who can only play during the varsity time, mark the varsity time. With so many of you involved in other activities, it is likely that some shuffling will need to occur and this is the only way to make sure you are all accounted for without making a million phone calls. I appreciate your help in this.
I will send an e-mail out the week of each game letting everyone know which team they will play on. I may ask some of you to play in more than one match depending on availability.
Please do your best to sign up. If you make any changes to your schedule and a conflict arises after you fill out this form, please e-mail me and I will update my list.
Just wanted to touch base with all of you regarding some upcoming
vb dates. We begin the day school lets out on June 2!
If you haven't kept up with our calendar, you can find it online
Please check there regularly to make sure that you don't miss anything. Also on
our website is a player information sheet. I am asking that everyone who plans
to try out (even those of you who have been in the program a few years) take a
minute and fill out this form via google docs. It will provide me with all of
your contact information to make sure that I reach everyone who
is interested. It takes just a minute or two.
Keep in mind that we will use 4 coaching days right away (June 2,
4, 9, 11) all from 5:30-8:00. These are important!
Also, if you have not yet signed up for strength and conditioning
with Nate, please do so ASAP. He is organizing sign-ups, so if you plan to
train with the team, contact him at 614-306-5497 or email him at email@example.com. Even if you know that
you will be missing a few days here and there for vacation, camps, or anything
else, please still sign up. Nate will work with you and help provide you with
some things to do at home if necessary. I will be checking with him the end of
this week to look at our numbers, so if you haven't already signed up,
please contact him.
Finally, I will have the summer league schedule and sign-ups out
to you by the end of the week. Summer league runs for 6 Tuesdays in June/July
at Kilbourne and begins on Tuesday, June 3.
Two more weeks until school is out and we get started! Best of
luck on exams to all the girls!